Wednesday, December 31, 2008

NEW YEARS CELEBRATION - DAMASK STYLE


Damask New Years by Park Avenue Prep

Today is New Years Eve!!! It is time to celebrate the end of 2008 and a fantastic 2009! So in preparation of the celebration, I thought it would be best to discuss possible New Years Eve party themes and designs. Above is the party I designed for 2009, but it will have to be saved for next year because the hostess responsibilities have been passed to my friend who is throwing a party. All I have to do is show up with the champagne! I'm so excited!

The inspiration for my New Years Celebration is black and white, specifically damask. I love the elegance of damask and seriously there are some great steals in the above photo as well as other possible places to look for stellar priced party supplies that look beautiful on any table. However, before I go any further, it occurred to me not everyone may know what damask is (this happened when my boyfriend read this post and said "What the heck is damask?"). Therefore, to make everyone clear, damask is a pattern originally used on fabric but can be viewed in the above photo on the black and white plate as well as the black and white ottoman in the lower left corner. Now that is clear, let's continue.

My favorite item on this page is the damask ottoman. This ottoman provides the perfect spot for additional seating and is aesthetically pleasing. The ottoman can be found at Target for $49.99. Such a deal!

Moving on to the champagne glasses, what can I say? I love bows. And black bows on the glass are so elegant! A possible Park Avenue Prep Tip: you could use white paint pens and paint 2009 on one end of the bow's ribbon and one guest's monogram on the other end of the bow. Then each guest can take home his or her respective glass as a keepsake. Monograms on bows, so preppy!

Depending on the number of guests, I recommended damask paper plates. These can be found at Plates and Napkins for $5.95 for a set of 8. However, if using real plates (Target currently sells a 16-piece set for $41.69), a mirror would be a dramatic charger while being kind to the wallet. Mirror chargers can be found at Plum Party for $20 and includes 9 mirrors. Other mirror discs options can be found at Overstock.

To further dress up the table, I would recommend some crystal confetti from Plum Party as well as decorative napkin holders. The ones shown here are bangles from Kitson, but any glittery bangles from Target or Claire's, or even a tinsel tie would add the perfect sparkle!

A really unique addition is the black chandelier shown above. Now you may be thinking, "Park Avenue Prep, you are crazy if you think I am going to buy a whole new chandelier for a single party!" But really, this is no chandelier. This is a decal that you can apply directly to your wall and can remove it without damage! Amazing! The chandelier decal can be found at Chiasso for $38 each.

Last but not least, no party is complete without music. And you will probably hear his name mentioned many times in the future if you continue reading this blog, but no black and white themed party is complete without Michael Buble. Seriously, if you haven't, you should definitely check out his music. He sounds like (and looks like) a very handsome and younger Frank Sinatra. He sings some Frank Sinatra covers as well as his own music. The song Everything is definitely my favorite.

I know this party idea is coming a little late (as in the day of said event), but if you are deciding to do a last minute get together to celebrate the New Years or have had it planned months in advance, please share your New Years Eve party decor. I would love to hear how all the other preps of the world are celebrating! Have a great New Years celebration and I wish you all the best for 2009!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love damask!! I got the cutest black and white damask martini glasses and shaker for Christmas. Would have been perfect for your celebration. Happy 2009!!

    ReplyDelete